02/16/2011

Read an article in the New York Times this morning about actresses and how they order huge meals when they go out to eat with journalists. They eat a normal meal and the journalist reports that they're "just like you and me." But they're not. They're just doing that for the cameras. Oh, they insist they're obsessed with macaroni and cheese like everyone else--and I believe them. When you diet, you're obsessed with food.

I've started taking photographs of how much I eat again. For some reason, I like it. I'm reading Mindless Eating or something with that title. It's really opening my eyes to how much food we shove in our gobs without thinking. I know I used to eat very non-mindfully. I'd just eat until I was gorged and bloated and miserable.

It's warming up outside. Today it's going to be in the 40s. I noticed it during my run. I had one lap with gloves and then removed them. I even checked out the real track which is now about 80% cleared. But, there was still leg-breaking ice on it. Not worth it. Also, the water and puddles on the track get soaked up by my Wal*Mart sneakers which I was wearing today. So, no dice. I did one test run and it wasn't bad but then it was back to the outside track.

I'm listening to several books right now. Probably not a good thing. One is the Mindless Eating book. Another is an Ayn Rand biography and a book on having Difficult Conversations. I'm reaching the end of the Michael Pollan books which is fine with me. I think I get the message. I will be forever grateful. I eat plants but not as much as I did in January. I was almost on a GD fast. I've started eating a lot of rice and beans and stuff. So it goes. I should nix the rice.

Anyway, the Difficult Conversations book is interesting. The different viewpoints and no one is "right." We all have our stories and intentions. We assume others are out with devious intentions. We project negative things on others. What bothers me about the book is they have amateurs reading it. They're as boring and insipid as tofu. I don't like books read by the author (for the most part). The only person who has done a good job, I've found, is Toby Young who read How to Lose Friends and Alienate People. I was a little surprised to find out he'd read his own book. He did very good impressions.

I should do my marketing this morning and get it over with. Last night, I did my marketing. I just typed in "Wong" and photography and a billion Chinese photographers popped up. Damn, I'm so smart. I think I'm going to do that from now on. Forget the photo credit nonsense. There are so many photographers out there. I calculated last night: I've contacted about 3,500 different photographers and marketing firms. And I haven't even scratched the surface. There are so many more being born each year. Someone else is putting out a shingle.

No comments: