- When and what was your first drink?
- Was there ever a time when you could take or leave alcohol?
- When did you begin to realize you didn't drink like other people?
- Who was the first person to address your drinking? What was your response?
- When did you start to realize you couldn't control your drinking?
- When did you start to control your drinking (i.e. only on weekends, only two drinks, only beer, drinking seltzer, "white knuckling it")?
- Did you ever plan ahead for drinking?
- What was your life like a week before you went to your first AA meeting?
- What caused you to pick up the phone and call Alcoholics Anonymous?
- What were your pre-conceived notions about AA?
With these questions, I hoped to capture some of the madness that goes into alcoholic drinking and why we end up at AA--how we don't drink like ladies and gentlemen. How we don't drink like normal people.
This is only a suggestion. There are tons of ways to do the first step!